Why is it so hard to be funny? I love reading romance that is funny. But, to write it is another story. Will other's laugh? Will others think I'm just stupid? I have one of those sense of humors that some people just don't understand - highly based on sarcasm. Living and teaching in Guatemala has taught me that sarcasm does not really exist on the same level as it does in the states. So, I dedicate today's Monday Funny to SARCASM.
Now, if I could just figure out the art of using sarcasm in my writing. I believe it is truly difficult because sarcasm has a lot to do with tone of voice. You can't do that in writing, can you? So, here are the types of sarcasm that I think exists:
- Insults: Isn't that what sarcasm is all about? Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it?
- Obnoxious: The kind that makes people not talk to you ever again. I'm glad to see you're not letting your education get in the way of your ignorance.
- Underestimation: If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.
- Polite: Rude comments but given in a nice manner. Oh, great! We get to spend another hour shopping for that wedding dress.
- Unanswered questions: What do sheep count when they try to get to sleep?
Other favorite love/romance sarcastic lines:
I wasn't kissing him, I was just telling his lips a secret!
Do you believe in love at first site? Or should I walk by again?
He broke my heart, so I broke his jaw.
Whoever said loves lasts forever was drunk.
Love isn't blind...chances are YOURE the one that's blind.
How do YOU write sarcasm?
Thanks for stopping by,